Do you have a passion for food justice and social services? Are you ready to bring your experience, organizational skills, and creativity to an organization that is the backbone of Pierce County’s emergency food system? Do you want to work with a dynamic team, interact with incredible donors and sponsors, engage with the community, and have a significant impact on food security in our community?
Who we are…
Emergency Food Network is located in Lakewood, WA. In a given year we move more than 14 million pounds of food and serve more than 68 partner programs. We also run an 8-acre organic farm in the Puyallup Valley that grows food for distribution to food pantries. Our Board of Directors is active and engaged and we also have an Ambassador Board, which is made up of younger professionals. As EFN grows, we are excited to welcome a Community Engagement Coordinator to our Development Team.
What you would be doing…
As the Community Engagement Coordinator you would be helping us to develop, manage, and implement new communication strategies that mobilize people to give, advocate, and volunteer! You would work closely with the Coordinator of Volunteer Activities (to promote volunteer opportunities and communicate with current volunteers) and the Communications Manager (to manage and implement our online presence, and public information requests).
What your typical day might look like…
- Promote EFN at a community event by staffing a table and talking with others about what we do and how they can get involved
- Greet, provide an orientation, or give a tour to warehouse volunteers or other guests
- Create and edit EFN’s monthly e-newsletter, The Feed, or other volunteer and event emails
- Interview partner programs and volunteers for monthly highlights
- Manage EFN’s online presence by updating website content and social media, or posting EFN events on external calendars
- Create and develop educational materials
- Be an EFN ambassador by attending community meetings
- Take photos of warehouse and volunteers
- Manage and build upon EFN’s current Food and Fund Drive program
- Manage event attendee thank you letters, cards, and emails
- Attend a special EFN fundraising event on an evening or weekend
- Data entry, as needed
This job might be for you if…
- You have a background with higher education (preferred) or equivalent work experience in social services, communications, and/or volunteer programs.
- You communicate clearly. You like talking to people. You write well. You’re comfortable talking to individuals and large groups. You communicate through email as well as the phone.
- You are motivated and driven. You like taking on new challenges and taking ownership of your responsibilities.
- You like helping people.
- You are a nice person with a sense of humor.
- You are willing and able to travel via automobile and have a valid driver’s license.
- You don’t mind and are able to move and lift up 50-60 pounds as needed.
It would be desirable if you…
- Have experience working with Windows-based computer software, donor database systems (DonorPerfect preferred), Word, Excel, Outlook, and Flickr.
- Have experience writing articles and social media blurbs.
- Do not believe in the statement, “that’s not my job.”
Your work schedule would be…
Typically, 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday. However, your schedule will vary occasionally due to periodic evening meetings, early morning events, and weekend activities.
What we have for you…
- A position that’s full-time with an hourly rate of $15-17, based on experience
- 2 weeks of vacation, increased to 3 weeks vacation after 2 years, and 8 hours added monthly to your sick balance- benefits start after first full month of employment
- We provide medical ($500 Deductible 2017) vision, dental, life insurance with EFN covering 100% of the cost of the employee’s insurance premiums
- EFN has a 403(b) plan and contributes 5% after the employee has been here for one full month
- EFN is a collaborative, team-focused, dog friendly work space. The Development Team (which includes this position) works in an open office concept that encourages inter-team collaboration.
How to apply for this position…
- Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: “Community Engagement Coordinator.”
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
EFN is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about Emergency Food Network, please visit our website www.efoodnet.org